a bit of bicycling

the important bits

  • View my daily photo update from my 2017 trip around Africa here.
  • View my daily photo update from my 2012 trip across America here.
  • looking back

    In the days after the Big Ride ended, my heart was heavy. I'd become so close to all of these people, and shared and amazing experience and bond, and they were all gone. It was a really tough transition back into the "real world".

    I went for a run they day after the ride ended, and that served as day 1 of marathon training. I don't know what marathon, but I need to do something to keep myself out of trouble!

    I like to make lists. I think they're nice. I've made a few throughout this trip, and now seems like a reasonable time to share them. So here goes...

    Lessons learned
  • Bicycles work best when you keep the rubber side down.
  • Underwear is overrated
  • Flip flops are underrated

    My bucket list
  • Learn (really learn) French and Spanish
  • Bicycle across every continent (except the really cold one... who needs that?)
  • Bicycle the Tour de France route
  • Run a marathon
  • Learn how to scuba dive

    Things I’ll miss
  • The companionship
  • The beautiful simplicity of life on the road
  • The trail mix
  • The exercise and the endorphins

    Possible funding sources to support my new life plan of being a fulltime bicycler
  • Become an immensely excellent blogger and rake in ad revenues
  • Game the lottery system (all those statistics courses have got to be useful for something! :o))
  • Become a day trader

    Two days before my scheduled flight, I got an email from the UK Border Agency -- my work visa was approved. One day before my scheduled flight, my passport, shiny new visa and all, was back in my hands. On the day of my scheduled flight, I boarded the plane and headed off for a new adventure.

    I'll finish with the motto that developed over the last days of the trip... while I may no longer be a Big Rider, I'll always ride big. :o)
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment