a bit of bicycling

the important bits

  • View my daily photo update from my 2017 trip around Africa here.
  • View my daily photo update from my 2012 trip across America here.
  • reality strikes

    Even though day 2 was fewer miles (72), it was mentally a tough one for me. On the first day, I'd pretended I was just going for a bicycle ride for a single day. Just like any old training ride. On day 2, it hit me that I was bicycling all the way across America... and I had a really long way to go. Also, I was really trying to take it easy on my joints, so I didn't push myself and did a lot of spinning. No one else had the same idea it seems, so I kind of got left in the dust again. I think a big part of it is that I'd underestimated the time it would take me to break down all of my camping gear, and I got off to somewhat of a late, and already frazzled, start. I was on my own for most of the day, which was also disheartening. I'd really gotten bored of being alone while training and was really looking forward to riding with people on the trip.

    It was really nice weather, but we did have some more hills. The climate changed pretty drastically as we got to the east of the mountain and it got hot pretty quickly. As we did so, the vegetation changed from large, green first to beige sagebrush.




    On another note, I'm pleased to report that the U.S. bug population is declining. I'm taking them all out with my face. Sometimes my eyes, on occasion I'll eat one, and even with my arms at times.

    Other interesting things that happened today were that a dog ran out in front of me so I had to yell at it to go away. It actually worked! (Dogs are actually one of the most common causes of bike accidents -- hitting an animal will really take a biker out). Also, I saw a snake on the road, and got so scared I nearly jumped off my bike to get away from it. I appreciate this was not exactly the logical move, seeing how the snake was on the ground, and I'd be jumping onto the ground as well, but it was my approach nonetheless, and I made it past the snake unscathed.

    As I rolled in to Vantage, the seriously motivated 17-year-old, who'd already done one cross country trip, was out for a jog after bicycling 72 miles. These are the people I'm bicycling with. I'm doomed!!!

    When I got to camp, I had the mechanic, Rich, help me hook up some speakers to my bicycle. (We're not allowed to wear headphones for safety reasons.) At least if I'm going to be alone, I'll now have books on tape to keep me company!

    Also, very happily, I put my tent together like a pro tonight. I even did the stakes just right (after casually, so as not to be obvious inspecting, how they worked on other tents). :o)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment