a bit of bicycling

the important bits

  • View my daily photo update from my 2017 trip around Africa here.
  • View my daily photo update from my 2012 trip across America here.
  • the flattest section of the big ride after the first 35 miles of small rollers

    That's how today's ride was described on our cue sheet. Today's ride was just 70 miles in total, so if 35 of them are rolling hills, well call me crazy, but calling today the flattest day seems a bit of a misnomer.

    The Park Association provided us with a breakfast of pancakes, sausage, and coffee. And the cue sheet was right -- the first 35 miles of today's ride were up and down and up and down. It wasn't so bad though, and we made it to lunch by 10:30. The last 35 miles went by quickly as I sped through them with Jim and Eric, playing guessing games all the while.

    During today's ride, we left Indiana and entered Ohio, but the scenery -- soy bean and corn farms -- stayed about the same. We arrived in our destination for the day -- Napoleon, Ohio -- by noon and weren't particularly sure what to do with ourselves. We spent a bit of time at the library using the computers, and I filled out some of the forms I need for my UK work visa application.

    We hung out at the camp ground most of the afternoon, and I happily managed to set up my tent under a shelter, so if I didn't have to bother with the miserable rain fly. Now this is my kind of camping. :o)

    An older local man, Carl, came over to chat and informed us that we were currently located in the flattest county in Ohio, and he seemed to be quite proud of the fact. (Everyone's got to have some claim to fame, right?) Carl was born in Napoleon, Ohio and has lived here for all of his life.

    Dinner was catered at camp, and was a southern classic -– fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, rolls, scalloped potatoes, green beans, lemonade, and strawberry short cake. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. :o)

    I took advantage of the short riding day to get some extra sleep and go to bed early. While today wasn't difficult, we're in the midst of a seven-day stretch without a rest day, which is enough to make a body tired!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment