a bit of bicycling

the important bits

  • View my daily photo update from my 2017 trip around Africa here.
  • View my daily photo update from my 2012 trip across America here.
  • buffalo burgers

    Today I saw all kinds of fun wildlife include elk, a turkey and boatloads of sheep and cows. I also came across a mother and baby deer today. They were a bit startled by my approach on bicycle and took off before I could get a good photo. The mother leaped gracefully along, and the little fawn did his best to imitate, but you could tell he could use a few more lessons. They encountered a fence, and the mother bounded right over. The fawn skidded to a halt, took a good look at it, and finally decided to duck underneath. I think it was the right choice for him, although seeing him attempt to hop it may have been very entertaining.

    Today’s ride was 99 miles, but somehow it wasn’t really all that bad. It seems that bicycling on the plains is a lot better than bicycling up mountains, which is what it feels like we’ve been doing since day 1! Also, I broke up the day with a dip in the hot springs of White Sulfur Springs. It was divine and very therapeutic. :o)

    I haven’t seen so many pine trees lately, but I have seen a whole lot of wheat. In fact today we passed through Wheatland County. The wheat is a light green and the grains on top are a darker gray green. Blowing in the wind, they look far more like a silky, rolling sea than vegetation. The wheat fields have been broken up by little patches of wild flowers, but wheat has definitely dominated the landscape as of late.




    Tonight we stayed in a church -- Faith Chapel – in Harlowtown, Pennsylvania. A couple in the area had us over to their house for dinner, and it was really great to be in an actual home after being a migrant for several weeks. I sat on a real couch, played with their dogs, and ate an amazing dinner. They made buffalo burgers with bleu cheese, and they were mouth wateringly amazing!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment